Grubology is now a featured blog on Urban Spoon and Zagat

Grubology Denver restaurants Zagat Featured Blog: Denver
Foodbuzz

Friday, January 6, 2012

Bread

So if you've read this blog before, you probably know I have (had?) a phobia about making my own dough. Who knows why? Probably my dad's fault. Anyway, I have overcome much of that by perfecting my pizza dough (cooked in the Egg of course).

I hadn't thought much about making my own bread until I saw my friend Julia's post on Facebook about making her own artisan bread.  (she has her own blog now, check it out!) It looked so damn good that it got my juices flowing and my courage back up to make my own bread. I've tackled the pizza dough, so how hard could it be?!

I ordered a great book (recommended by Julia) on Amazon and went at it. The key to this method is creating a "wet" dough, so you can take it out of the fridge whenever you want and bake some fresh bread. Very little active work and very easy. The first loaf came out and looked good, so I cut into it right away. BIG mistake. As noted in the book, and ignored by me, you really need to let it cool completely (~2 hours) before cutting it. That's the hard part! Not cutting right into it and slathering on the butter!

I no longer have a fear of dough. It's a good day. -- Drew
My first loaf, ready to get happy!

My first loaf, after


My 2nd (larger) loaf. Delicious!!!!

3 comments:

  1. You just did not make bread! I'm a doughaphobic and have failed so many times I don't know if I can bring myself to try again. I'm heading over to Amazon to take a look at which book you have. See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That loaf looks great! I have tried baking my own bread, but yeast & I are not getting along. Are you going to share the recipe or is it in the book?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's in the book, but I will also post the recipe.

    ReplyDelete