Grubology is now a featured blog on Urban Spoon and Zagat

Grubology Denver restaurants Zagat Featured Blog: Denver
Foodbuzz

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

My Big Green Egg

So here's my new "gadget" that Shannon was talking about...
Here's my new Egg! Can't wait for Roy to build my table for it.

When Shannon first told me about the Big Green Egg, my response was..."big green what?". He sighed and patiently explained to me that it's just the best grill/smoker/bbq EVER. I still wasn't convinced until he took me to Lehrer Fireplace and Patio. We talked to the experts there for over an hour and when we left, I knew that this was the one. I was thinking about getting another Weber gas grill, but the benefits of the Egg blow it away. Thanks to Lehrer for taking great care of me. They definitely know their stuff.

"The original design is over 3,000 years old, with roots thought to be in China, but Japanese also adopted it and called it 'kamado', a generic word that can mean an oven, stove, heater or even fireplace. After World War II, thousands of Americans in Japan 'discovered' the strange clay cooker and brought it home to the US at a time when most Americans used metal grills for outdoor cooking. The Big Green Egg was introduced in 1974 and has earned its reputation as the World's Best Smoker and Grill." (from the manual)

I tried it out for the first time last night and made some boneless skinless chicken breasts. I put some of John Henry's Tammy's Herbal Rub on it. Everything turned out great, although I've already learned a couple lessons:
1. Use a lot more charcoal and/or more fire starter to generate a hotter fire more quickly.
2. Make sure I keep the dome open while the fire heats up. I had no problem getting it up to 350 degrees, but it didn't get much hotter than that because I had closed the dome too early. Linda, at Lehrer, mentioned that with our lack of oxygen here, she found that she needed to keep the whole dome open until the fire was hot, otherwise it wouldn't get hot enough. Of course, I had forgotten that until after I was done. Oh well, I can't wait to make some steaks or pizza on it!

Stay tuned for many more Egg posts! Grubolicious! -- Drew

3 comments:

  1. Big Green Eggs are very popular here in Georgia, but then we don't have an altitude problem to slow down the heating process!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been threatening to get a Green Egg for years. Everytime I walk into Highlands Ranch Ace Hardware they call my name. I must not have subscribed right the first time I visited in Jan. Looks like I've got some catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete